Oamaru Studio Information
- Class Etiquette – it is expected that students are well groomed and show respect to their teacher at all times. Any silly behaviour that is not beneficial to the class will not be accepted. Students will be given a warning and after this will simply not be allowed into the class if their behaviour is unfit for the class. There will be no refunds in this instance.
- What to wear and bring – students to wear appropriate comfortable dance wear ie. clothes you can move in and sweat in. Students can wear dance shoes if they own them but this is not compulsory. Long hair to be worn up and off the face. Always bring a drink bottle and sweat towel.
- Parents – we find that students engage better and focus more without parents in the room. We will invite you in for a performance at the end of the term.
- Attendance – students are required to attend every class possible as we will be constantly adding onto work taught in previous lessons. Of course if your sick please stay safe and warm at home. A text is appreciated, Anna 021860060
- Fees – will be invoiced once enrolment is received. Payment of the term is expected prior to your first lesson of the term. There are no refunds for missed classes or if the student decides to leave DEVOS. Students may join part way through the term but the term fees will be prorated.
- Most importantly we ask all students to be 100% focused and at all times to strive to be the best they can be, working at their maximum effort.
DEVOS DIRECTOR – ANNA STUART
Anna spent many of her early years travelling with dance competitions and represented Christchurch in the New Zealand Nationals, 1988 in both Tap and Jazz. She won her first scholarship to train at the NZ School of Ballet at age 12. She has sat numerous exams in RAD Ballet, BBO Tap, American Jazz, NZAMD Jazz, APDA Jazz Addict, APDA Urban Ignition Hip Hop, BBDS Hip Hop, NZAMD Contemporary and APDA Lucidity Contemporary. Anna is an examiner for Asia Pacific Dance Association. She has also trained in Pilates and Vinyasana Yoga and is a certified Les Mills Instructor in multiple programmes.
Anna began her teaching career in Tap Dance at the ripe age of 15 before taking time out for degrees, OEs, businesses and family. Anna moved to Queenstown in 2003 with no intention to dance again. But was swallowed up by a small town’s need for a dance choreographer. She has since then choreographed Starry Eyed, Hair, Cabaret, Chicago, Annie, Saturday Night Fever, Mama Mia and many many other numerous musicals, fashion shows and festival events. In 2008 Anna completed training in ‘Radiant Yoga’ for children and ‘Play Gym’ early childhood movement. She is dedicated to finding innovative, creative and successful ways in which to teach pre-schoolers not only dance but also fundamental movement skills. She became director of Flame Fire Productions in 2006. Choreographing and performing for the Queenstown Winter Festival Openings 2004, 2005 and 2006, AK05, Rock to Wellington (with Kiss and Ozzy Osbourne) and numerous corporate events and national festivals. Not only is she a fire dancer but also a certified indoor pyrotechnician. Anna has also been the official choreographer of the Queenstown Christmas Show since 2013. In 2006 she started Queenstown School of Dance and has never looked back
Over the last few years Anna noted that more and more students were under intense stress and showing signs of very low self-confidence. This was when she decided to create Dance Evolution Studios, where the focus was less on becoming a technical dancer and more on the overall well being of the student. Introducing mindful movement and gratitude to all classes. Although Anna is an examiner and grades students all over the world, she decided to step away from examinations in her own dance school and focus more on a student’s passion for dance and inner creativity.
Finding Queenstown was no longer the gorgeous little town from 2003, Anna moved with her family to Oamaru in 2018. 2020 brought the opportunity for Anna to open Dance Evolution Studios in Oamaru. Sharing her passion and love for dance to the Waitaki Community.